The 2018-19 topic of project for 9th Std is Study of our Food Heritage (Indigenous Food Species)
Understanding the topic:
- The methods of food preparation from a particular region or the ingredients used therein are the part of the food heritage. The way of cultivation of these food crops also contribute to the food heritage
- Indigenous Food Species: Animals or plants species originating naturally in a particular region.
‘Study of food heritage’ and ‘conservation of food heritage’ can have following aspects:
- Documentation of traditional recipes associated with festivals
- Study of biology or food value/medicinal value of a particular native species
- Documentation of biodiversity by way of field visits
- Comparative study of variety of same crop. E.g. grain size, soaking time, cooking time, texture before and after cooking
- Study changes in trends of food consumption over a period
[Students should Select ANY ONE aspect of study of food heritage.]
What to do:
- Select a heritage food (which contains Indigenous Food Species) recipe or preparation. You can select a dish or preparation which is getting cooked at your home, or village or at any other tourist place or location which you want to study.
- Study and document its recipe.
- Study the indigenous species used in that
- Find methods of preservation: if you can make small ‘frozen packets’ or if you can make a ‘paste’ out of it. Or a spread which can be packed in containers. Or some other idea to increase the preservation time.
- Events to popularize the selected food: Make the food, try your own modifications to get better taste. Tell your friends to try eating it. Collect the feedback. Try to introduce it at a birthday party / food fest/ society function / etc.
- Write the report
My Example project:
Study of our family traditional dish: ‘vegetable pickle’
Every year in winter my mother makes a dish called vegetable pickle. It is also cooked at my village. I will study this heritage food and various indigenous species used in its preparation.
- Study of the selected dish: recipe, nutritional value,
- Study of indigenous vegetables / plants are used in it
- Methods for popularization: distribute to my friends and collect feedback
- Preservation: create small packets of frozen pickle,
- Developing new recipe and ideas: Try to make a paste and make a ‘frankie’ out of it.
- Try to make a dry powder of the pickle. And test its use.
Also go through the document published by the examiners on the msta website
Students should think of their own idea and write the outline. Avoid copying this.
If you require any help, you can call / whatsapp me: Rahul Ogale – 9892013836