This article covers Action Research Projects for both 6th and 9th std for the year 2018-19 (Homi Bhabha Exam – Level 3)
Homi Bhabha Action Research Project 6th Std 2018:
Topic for 6th Std: ‘Locality Brigade for Locality Betterment’
What it means: Addressing local problems through a group of people who are capable to solve it. [And not expect someone else to solve them for you!]
What students need to do:
- Identify problem (or an area of improvement) as your topic. This should be a local problem. Like ‘parking problem inside your building’ or some problem happening in your school class room or on local play ground etc. [note: your topic should be local. And not ‘Global warming’ or ‘pollution due to plastic’]
- Form a locality brigade. Means make a Group of capable people who can address the problem. [We suggest that you appoint yourself as the president of this brigade! Then choose the other members as per convenience and effectiveness.]
- Address the problem, which you have identified through the brigade. Allocate some work to the group members. [We suggest that you yourself do the work if others are not able to do!]
- Solve the problem in scientific way. Study the problem, make it measurable, find possible ideas, select and execute the required tasks, evaluate your actions, review and modify your actions.
- Write the project report
MY EXAMPLE project: (This is just an example – Do not copy this!)
Me and many school children go to school by a school bus or van, stand at the gate of their respective building. This increases the number of bus stops, creates traffic. Also kids standing directly on the road is potentially unsafe. I will try to improve this problem by building a locality Brigade.
My Methods and Actions:
- Identify two better and safer areas where kids can stand. The ‘school stands’.
- Check with local corporator if the areas are okay for the kids to stand.
- Try to paint and mark the areas.
- Try to check if we can put a small (2 -3 ft) wooden barrier and a gate,
- Put useful facilities like: arrange drinking water, arrange for shadow. For the betterment of kids standing.
- Put newspapers to read.
- Make whatsapp groups and posters to spread awareness about the local brigade.
- Review and check effectiveness.
- Take a corrective action if required.
- Write a report.
Homibhabha exam project 9th std 2018:
Topic: Study of our Food Heritage (Indigenous Food Species)
Understanding the topic:
The methods of food preparation from a particular region or the ingredients used therein are the part of the food heritage. The way of cultivation of these food crops also contribute to the food heritage
Indigenous Food Species: Animals or plants species originating naturally in a particular region.
‘Study of food heritage’ and ‘conservation of food heritage’ can have following aspects:
- Documentation of traditional recipes associated with festivals
- Study of biology or food value/medicinal value of a particular native species
- Documentation of biodiversity by way of field visits
- Comparative study of variety of same crop. E.g. grain size, soaking time, cooking time, texture before and after cooking.
- Study changes in trends of food consumption over a period:
[Students should select any one aspect of study of food heritage.]
What to do:
- Select a heritage food (which contains Indigenous Food Species) recipe or preparation. You can select a dish or preparation which is getting cooked at your home, or village or at any other tourist place or location which you want to study.
- Study and document its recipe.
- Study the indigenous species used in that.
- Find methods of preservation.
- Try to popularize the selected food: Make the food, try your own modifications to get better taste. Distribute at food-mela, etc. Tell your friends to try eating it. Collect the feedback.
- Write the report.
MY EXAMPLE project: (Do not copy this!)
Subtopic: Study of our family traditional dish: ‘vegetable pickle’
Every year in the spring my mother makes a dish called vegetable pickle. It is also cooked at my village. I will study this heritage food and the various indigenous species used in its preparation.
- Study of the selected dish: recipe, nutritional value, variations done in different places
- Study of the indigenous vegetables / plants are used in it
- Methods for popularization: distribute to my friends and collect feedback
- Preservation: create small packets of frozen pickle
- Developing new recipe and ideas: Try to make a paste. And make a ‘franky’ out of it.
- Try to make a dry powder of the pickle and test its use.
Students should think of their own idea and develop it. Avoid copying this.
Also go through the document published by the examiners on: http://msta.in/
If you need any help or guidance, please contact:
Rahul Ogale (9892013836)